Wednesday, July 20, 2011

How to/If I should tell him I'm pregnant?

I'm 27 and have been living with my boyfriend for about one year. I just found out I am pregnant, while he is on vacation until next week. In past conversations he has expressed his feelings for not ever having kids, and his fear that I may be trying to get pregnant, which I have always assured him that I actually don't want to get pregnant any more than he does, apart from having my own reasons (huge student loan debt, desire to pursue a grad school education, having just got my life together in the last few years). Anyway, the reason I went off birth control three to four months ago is because I was unemployed, we were moving apartments in a very expensive city, and I didn't believe I could afford it. Also, the prescription I had been renewing was out of refills months ago, and I wasn't sure it was even legal for me to keep refilling it. I lost my health insurance during my last semester at school, as I was one credit too short to have the plan. Since graduating in December, I have not tried to get new health insurance, and thus have waited to get back on birth control, until the obvious just recently happened. I do not believe my boyfriend and I are really in love, and I'm really not financially stable enough to consider having a child right now. I care so much about my boyfriend, and I believe that we will agree on what to do, but I must say that I am so humiliated and mortified that the one thing we both didn't want has happened. I honestly hoped to have the abortion this weekend so it would be over with by the time I told him (unless I healed and opted to just NOT tell him, out of my own fear- I admit), but today the doc said he couldn't do the procedure because I am barely over a week along, and so I have to wait two weeks. Now I can't decide how to tell my boyfriend, or if I shouldn't. I do know that he is adamant about not having kids, and I am not ready either. I am also just humiliated and afraid that he will resent me, not be able to handle the stress of this occasion, and become completely alienated from me. I don't foresee him trying to leave as finding a place to live elsewhere would be extremely difficult for him and for me, but I fear he will stay and treat me badly for making the one thing he didn't want to happen happen. I know he has a responsibility in all this too, and some part of the decision, but I just feel that if we both want to abort, perhaps I could save our relationship a ton of stress if I didn't tell him and did it on my own. Many of my friends think I should break up with him anyway, not tell him, and go through with the abortion on my own. I can't imagine having to pay double my rent in less than 2 weeks, pay for an abortion, break up with my boyfriend, and start life out alone all at once. I'm seriously just feeling mortified and scared that our relationship won't survive this, because we're not in love. I've always believed that one doesn't have to be in love to be in a relationship, so I want to keep ours going, but what if he never wants to have sex with me ever again? I'm just so stuck, and my original plan to deal with this situation has not worked, leaving me even more lost. Any help would be great. And pro-lifers out there--I've already had one abortion and have no problem doing another one, so answers involving judgment of my values and decision on this will be disregarded.

No comments:

Post a Comment